Putting Epilepsy in the TED Picture

5:43:00 PM

Speaking at TED

Good evening beautiful people,

I have blogged about my fav mental health TED talks and was star struck when I met 2 of my fav Mental Health TED speakers, Vikram and Elyn Saks. So you can imagine how it felt when TED asked me to speak. Since Monday 13th is International Epilepsy Day and I took the opportunity to share about my first ever seizure - in line with this year's theme, Putting Epilepsy in the Picture. 

My closing for the talk, 
"Every year, across the globe, a population as big as 80% of Nairobi, 2.4 Million people, are diagnosed with epilepsy and they like me go through exclusion and discrimination. I keep the conversation going so that these people have a point of reference and a constant reminder that they will be alright, that they need to pull down the walls of self stigma, adhere to doctor's directions as they get positive alternative tools and skills to cope...I keep the conversations going so that those without the diagnosis can have a point of reference and a constant reminder that it is alright to engage with us, that they need to pull down the walls of exclusion and discrimination and we, just like them, can handle what life throws at us.

Here is some twitter love my talk got;









How are you putting epilepsy in the picture?

Sending love and light,
Sitawa

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe