#IveGotThePower during this 16 days of Activism (#16daysofActivism)

12:35:00 PM

With Terry from CoVAW at #16daysofActivism media briefing last Friday

Ola beautiful people,
It is a beautiful day, I am so excited about the new week especially because of the experiences I have had over the weekend from learning my BFF who is so anti-mass action actually took part in a demo, I was on set for a full day – mad respect to models and actors to exploring what being human. In current news, today is International Day against Violence against Women. It is also the start of 16 days of activism which runs to December 10th, International Human Rights Day. The theme of this year’s 16 days of activism (the same for the last three years) is, From Peace in the home to Peace in the World; Let’s challenge militarism and end violence against women. It reminds me of a talk by Prof Amina Mama earlier in the year at Nairobi University when she talked about militarism and the role it plays in normalization of a culture of fear. (see the topic on the slide)


Last week on Friday, by the cordial invitation of my family at COVAW I attended the media briefing on the same and the activities they have lined up as the hosts of #16daysofactivism in Kenya; starting today at Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital to others in Nakuru, Samburu, Migori, Kisumu, Kajiado, Busia and Kisii daily till the 29th. There will also be celebrations on International Day of Persons with Disability organized in partnership with Kenya Association for the Intellectually Handicapped with the last event being celebrating human rights champions on Dec 10th which is International Human Rights Day.

The online community will also see a host on campaigns and one online event I am looking forward to is celebrate your hero by posting his/her picture and short story on facebook, twitter or instagram. This will be on Dec 5th. Like Epilepsy, the official color is purple which reminds me of Purple day in March when I turned Kenya purple. The official hast tags are #16daysofActivism and #IveGotThePower. (You can start by sharing this link using the tags)

COVAW has localized the theme and their question to all of us; Power! We all have it! How are you using yours? I would like to know your answer to this online, so tag me @SitawaWafula and @CoVAW and use the hashtag #IveGotThePower.

How i will use my power?
As usual I dedicate my space here to highlight VAW starting with my rape ordeal to FGM to violence against the mentally challenged.

Tomorrow I will use my online power and dedicate my weekly twitter party, #mhke, towards #16daysofactivism and will be discussing rape and mental health. Join me from 2-3p East African Time.

I also have a performance at Phoenix Theatre which i will dedicate to #16daysofactivism

Wishing y'all the most powerful 16 days ever and more power thereafter.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe